This morning at 12:30 am my kind, strong & courageous Grandpa, Charles Leland Wright left this earth. Wednesday he will be buried and receive full military
honors, tributes from the Sandy City Fire Department and the Mormon Battalion. But the real story started 20 days ago when Grandpa’s youngest son Dean, who was mentally handicapped and had been raised by his parents for 55 years died due to complications from a surgery. Over the next several days the family
prepared for Dean’s funeral, however during this time Grandma’s health was declining. Much to our dismay by the time Dean’s funeral took place Grandma was doing so badly that she was not able to attend her son’s funeral. Grandpa stood proudly in her place and as he sat at her bedside after the funeral he pinned his boutonniere to her nightgown, knowing it had been difficult for her to miss the services that day.
Grandma’s health continued to decline, and 15 days after Dean’s passing on November 28th she too parted from this earth. I’m sure after 55 years it was now Dean’s pleasure to attend to her on the other side.
I was there the night Grandma passed. After grandpa expressed his love to her, he then told his sweetheart he had no intention of staying here without her (and Grandpa has always been a man of his word).
Our family & hospice lovingly attended to Grandpa daily, but each day he became weaker and slept more.
Today, just 5 days after Grandma’s passing and on the morning of her services, Grandpa joined her, and Dean.
Our hearts have been broken three times in 20 days. I can’t help but wonder who these three angels were in my life this whole time. Did I know how special they were, or how strong their bond was? I find much comfort in knowing they went together so quickly, it’s miraculous actually... Even if it feels like 3 consecutive kicks in the gut.

Wow! Shelley--I'm so sorry!!! I lost both of my grandfather's within 3 weeks of each other--and that was immensely difficult. To lose all 3! Although--at least they're together. It reminds me of Joseph and Hyrum Smith's martyrdom's---and then--just short months later--their younger brother (I believe it was William) joined them too). Prayers and thoughts to you and your family!!!!
ReplyDeleteMary P.
Terrible for those of you left behind, but how joyous for them! Isn't it wonderful having the Gospel to pick us up when we feel so low at times like these. Hang in there and know we are all praying for your peace!
ReplyDeleteShelley,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I can't believe this all happened so close together. They sound like very special and wonderful people. So sad for you to lose them together. But how special are they to be reunited with each other so soon.
If there is anything we can do for you please let me know. I'm thinking there should be an "I Love You" cake for this.
We love you,
Dennis and Debbie Iverson
It reminds me of the time I watch the movie "Where the Red Fern Grows", I cried so much. There is a lovely (I think Native American Story) about a Red Fern growing in between the two that had died together because of their love and in the movie the same thing happened with 2 dogs. I was like 9 when it was out, but I know from their love a red fern could grow between all three of the them just like the pars of a heart! I told a friend this last week when his father passed - when my Dad died when I was young I kept hearing I am sorry and at the time I didn't want to hear those words again because they just couldn't do the pain just. I wish their were words in the English language that could express our love, caring, and sympathy we would love to give to you at this time that aren't just the simple words "I am sorry," but something I can say to you that I couldn't say to my friends is "FAMILIES ARE FOREVER!" I am so glad we at least know that at that gives us peace! Love you Shelley and your family they ALL carry a special place in my heart from the years of knowing you and your family are SUCH WONDERFUL friends to us!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE you and express your family our love
Sharyn Moore and family.
Oh Shelley!!! I'm so sorry. What a tale to tell though. Incredible. I hope you will feel love and peace at this difficult time. Love you.
ReplyDeleteI WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER CHARLES HE IS SUCH A PLEASANT PERSON TO BE AROUND. AND HE LOVES TELLING HIS STORIES ABOUT THINGS THAT HE HAS DONE IN LIFE I REALLY ENJOYED LISTENING TO THEM. THEY BOTH LOVED EACH OTHER SO MUCH 69 YEARS IS A LONG TIME AND THEN TO GO TO HEAVEN TOGETHER THAT JUST SHOWS YOU HOW STRONG THERE LOVE WAS RIGHT THERE.GOD BLESSED THESE TWO LOVING PEOPLE MAY YOU BOTH REST IN PEACE PAIN FREE ANGELS YOU TWO ARE. Love: Hope Stuckman
ReplyDeleteCrying. Beautiful and our thoughts are with you.
ReplyDeleteShelley, I was in the Special Needs Mutual with Dean. I loved him, as did everyone that was associated with the Mutual. Our family moved from West Jordan to Lehighton, PA...last year. I miss Utah, alot. It is a new adventure and we will see what it holds for us. I read your blog about your grandparents and WOW! It made me cry. Say hi to your Mother and Dad, for me.
ReplyDeleteLove, Linda DeVore (hope your remember me)
Linda, of course I remember you! Thank you for your sweet comments. I will tell my parents hello.
ReplyDelete